Chapter Three: Nook


listen/download the audio file here
    I stared at the photograph in the file. It was solid evidence my coming here was not by accident.
    “Can you confirm your name, please?” Isabelle said. She leaned over my file, pen in hand.
    “What's the point?” I asked, “you have it there, don't you?”
    Isabelle smiled, thinly. “We have all sorts in here,” she said, “but, if you insist, your name is Harry M King, yes?”
    “Most people call me H.M.K.”
    “Address?” she barked, ignoring my response.
    I made to reply, but couldn't. I stood, mouth open. Where did I live? I couldn't recall even the most basic information from my life before the train journey.
    Isabelle sighed. “In order to register you as a town resident, we need your address for the form.” She shot me a knowing glance, adding, “and there aren't any vacant houses here.”
    My spirit rose. I could see a flaw in her logic that gave me hope. “I thought you were expecting a new mayor?” I pointed out , “but you don't even have a place for them to live?”
    Her smile grew, lacking any human warmth. I'd walked straight into her trap.
    She said, “I think it's time you met Mr. Nook.”


    While the memory of my last sojourn in Animal Crossing was hazy – especially how I had escaped the first time – there was one name that stuck in my mind: Tom Nook.
    I remembered Nook as a small-time shopkeeper. Beyond his day job, he had a sideline in building loans for desperate residents. Between the loan-sharking and his retail monopoly, he'd made a lot of money out of the town. It didn't surprise me to hear he was still around.
    Isabelle told me that Nook had a real estate shop on Main Street. If I wanted somewhere to live, Nook was the guy to speak to. But, my memory told me I should get out of this town without making his acquaintance.
    It was late and I needed a place to sleep. Isabelle's directions took me back past the railway station. I looked inside for somewhere to lie down. There was a row of plastic seats in the station lobby, which looked uncomfortable. The station guard would likely have thrown me out, anyway.
    I ruled out sleeping in the open, under trees. All I had was the clothes on my back and the  night was turning to chill. With a grim realisation I saw that the only way I'd find a proper bed was through Tom Nook.
    I told myself it would only be for one night. In the morning I'd figure out a way home.



    On Main Street, only one premises was still illuminated. The sign above the door read “Nook's Homes.” I took a deep breath and stepped inside. 
    “I've been waiting for you.”
    Tom Nook walked to the centre of the room. He was just like I remembered: Same swagger; same rodent features. He wore an expensive, bright yellow sports jacket.
    “On behalf of the Io Falls chamber of commerce, I'm pleased to welcome you!” He let the impressive title hang in the air for a moment. “I believe you want to build a house, yes? You just take your pick, boy, I can build just about anywhere you want.”
    “I don't really need a house,” I told him, “I'm not even staying long enough to process the planning permission.”
    “Well now,” Nook smiled, “don't you worry about permission. Especially with you being the Mayor and all. The Town Hall and I have a very amicable arrangement. But you need somewhere to stay, surely? I can give you a roof for the night, even if it's canvas! Heh heh heh.”
    “That would be fine,” I said, feeling my tiredness growing. 
    “Well, why don't you show me where'd you'd like to live?” he said, opening the door and gesturing outside.
    We walked back over the rails and I searched the woods for a camp site, albeit groggily. All the way Nook enthused about houses and showed me pictures. I didn't really listen. A bed for the night was all I cared about.
    “Now this is a nice spot!” Nook whistled as I led us to a clearing near the river, “I can see why you'd want to purchase this particular land.”
    I shook my head, “I'm not interested in a purchase? Really, I just need somewhere to sleep.”
    “And why should you be sleeping somewhere that isn't yours?” He pointed an accusing  finger at me. “That ain't fair on nobody. But since I am a generous man I can do you a loan that covers the land and a down-payment for your house.”
    I could feel the town's grip closing around me. “How much?” I asked.
    “Well, the calculation is complicated,” he scratched his chin, “I'll … tell you the total later.”
    “But what about the tent?” I began, turning to indicate the clearing.
    To my astonishment, there sat a canvas tent right in the spot I had indicated. I had neither seen nor heard anybody construct it while we'd been standing there.
    Nook studied my face with amusement. “You'll find my people work very quickly, quietly and discretely.” He began to walk away. “Oh and don't forget to register your address with the town hall... Mr Mayor.”
    I stared at the tent that had appeared, as if from nowhere. How could it have been put there, without my noticing? Despite a head full of questions and no small amount of fear, I needed a good night's sleep. I pulled open the canvas apparition, stepped inside and lay down to sleep.